Executive Sous Chef
Responsible for all aspects of managing the kitchen and kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling and storage of all food items in accordance with standards. Assist the Food & Beverage Manager in the development and coordination of purchasing of all food, developing menus, and maintaining approved food and labor costs. This is a working position, associate will be expected to work the line with the team.
REPORTS TO: Director of Food & Beverage
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Maintain complete knowledge of and ensure associate compliance with all departmental/hotel policies and procedures.
2. Interview, hire, train, recommend performance evaluations, resolve problems, provide open communications, and ongoing staff development. Recommend discipline and/or termination when appropriate.
3. Establish the day’s priorities and assign production and preparation tasks for back of the house (BOH) Kitchen Staff to execute.
4. Review daily menu specials with F&B Manager and offer feedback to Line Cooks.
5. Review restaurant reservations daily and prepare as needed.
6. Operate as the kitchen sanitor.
7. Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff.
8. Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
9. Requisition the day’s supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with the Purchasing and Store Room personnel. Ensure quality products are received.
10. Meet with the Steward to review equipment needs, cleaning schedule/project status, and health, safety and sanitation follow-up.
11. Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
12. Ensure that each kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
13. Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, and photographs are current and posted.
14. Ensure that all staff prepare menu items by following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
15. Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
16. Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction in each restaurant.
17. Conduct frequent walk through of the kitchen area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies. Ensure that quality and details are being maintained.
18. Conduct frequent dining room walk through in conjunction with front of house (FOH) management.
19. Assist the F&B Manager in developing new menu items. Write and test new recipes. Work with Line Cooks to execute these menu changes.
20. Be vigilant when it comes to allergens & special requests from our customers. Communicate this attitude to each kitchen at all times.
21. Review sales and food costs daily with the F&B Manager. Develop plans as necessary to meet budgeted costs based upon food cost discussions.
22. Work with the F&B Manager to oversee and direct training of new hires in specified phases of the kitchen operation. Maintain an on-going training program for existing staff.
24. Work as part of the culinary team to interview and hire new personnel according to hotel policies and standards.
25. Prepare weekly work schedules for all kitchen personnel in accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
26. Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
27. Perform any other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have the ability to communicate in English. Self-starting personality with an even disposition. Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times. Can communicate well with guests. Must be willing to “pitch-in” and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player. Ability to transport cases of received goods to the work stations; pots and pans of food from storage/prep areas to the serving line. Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved. Ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions. Ability to plan and develop menus and recipes. Ability to apply basic supervisory skills to plan, organize, direct, coach, train and discipline, as necessary. Ability to ensure security of kitchen access, products and hotel property. Ability to operate with stress, time constraints, physical activity and continuous walking. Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move goods weighing a maximum of 100 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
Crescent Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Crescent Hotels & Resorts does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Notices:
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please call 703-563-4395. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, an email may be sent to email@example.com. Please include “Applicant Accommodation Request” in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job.
Crescent Hotels & Resorts participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program. E-verify posters: English / Spanish. Right to Work Posters: English / Spanish